ThailandTeaching.info - Discussion Board & Information Site

This forum is for foreign teachers living and working in Thailand: Up-to-date and relevant posts on teacher licencing requirements, visa and work permit regulations, teaching resources, education news, schools, jobs, stories and many more...

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics

» New school term 2021
by Rastus Tue May 11, 2021 4:26 pm

» Trying to keep this site alive with useful information about teaching, work permits, visas, etc....
by Rastus Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:56 pm

» Things That I Like
by Rastus Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:52 pm

» Things I Don't Like
by Rastus Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:50 pm

» I GOT IT!!!
by Hey_ewe Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:31 pm

Top posting users this month
No user

May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

Looking for a school

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Looking for a school Empty Looking for a school Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:25 am

ramses

My daughter needs a school pretty quick. We left my former school at the end of the school year. We went on vacation and are just settling down, and are finding it difficult to get my daughter enrolled. We are mobile, so location really isn't an issue. What is an issue is enrolling now.

Suggestions are appreciated.

2Looking for a school Empty Re: Looking for a school Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:16 am

gungchang

gungchang

This request is a surprise coming from one so experienced and knowledgeable.

You failed to mention her age and if you're looking for an international school, a government school, etc.

The only "one size fits all" that comes to my mind is Hor Wang school in Bangkok near Central Lad Prao.

You're already familiar with a school on the Kaset campus nearby, the name of which eludes me.

I imagine that BKKSomchai would have at least one suggestion.

3Looking for a school Empty Re: Looking for a school Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:35 am

ramses

A one size fits all school might be what we have to do at this point. I wish I was knowledgeable, but I am not.

My daughter is 9, and heading into 4th grade. International or bi-lingual would be preferable. I don't want to pay more than 50,000 for the initiation fee, and prefer to keep the cost of the term under 90k per term.

If Horwang will enroll now, that is actually a real good idea.

4Looking for a school Empty Re: Looking for a school Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:30 pm

gungchang

gungchang

Oops!  I think Hor Wang is Mathayom only.

Ditto for Triamudomsuksa pattanakarn Ratchada School.

I'm afraid I haven't been too helpful.

BF referred me to Omaree School in Ko Kha outside of Lampang, which might be remotely similar to what she's used to in Chiang Rai. I was there for a couple of months while waiting for my Chinese visa in the summer of 2015. I taught anuban and matthayom and I recall that they had prathom.

It must be a private school, but I'd expect "outside" Lampang to be a lot less than in Bangkok.

5Looking for a school Empty Re: Looking for a school Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:53 pm

Sirchai

Sirchai

ramses wrote:A one size fits all school might be what we have to do at this point.  I wish I was knowledgeable, but I am not.  

My daughter is 9, and heading into 4th grade.  International or bi-lingual would be preferable.   I don't want to pay more than 50,000 for the initiation fee, and prefer to keep the cost of the term under 90k per term.  

If Horwang will enroll now, that is actually a real good idea.

Why didn't you write some details, location and preferences are most important.

Here's a school that might be a bit expensive, but Google found that there are plenty of other schools, for example, Assumption College.

http://www.heathfield.ac.th/?gclid=CNTYj-fRtdUCFYYYjwod4hoA3g

The timing is great, a new semester starts these days.

Here's another one, the first International school in Lampang ( I don't even know if you really live there!)

The British International School of Northern Thailand)

Nawattaphume international school - NIS

General Tuition (average in Baht)
92,500 ฿ / Year
https://www.sataban.com/thailand-schools/school/nawattaphume-international-school-nis

Assumption College Lampang Campus - ACL

About this School in Thailand: The school provides education for students from grade 1 through 12 (K-12). the school entrance especially in the first grade is highly competitive. The school is famous for its high standard teaching and learning program. Assumption College has a long list of distinguished former pupils including 4 Prime Ministers of Thailand and 11 Privy counselors.

https://www.sataban.com/thailand-schools/school/assumption-college-lampang-campus-acl

Best of luck finding a suitable place. Cheers-wai

6Looking for a school Empty Re: Looking for a school Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:52 pm

ramses

Sirchai - the issue at this point is that Thai schools and schools on the Thai academic year calendar are not accepting enrollments now.

I will look in Lampang. It would break my heart though to have to live so close to BF.

7Looking for a school Empty Re: Looking for a school Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:03 pm

Sirchai

Sirchai

ramses wrote:Sirchai - the issue at this point is that Thai schools and schools on the Thai academic year calendar are not accepting enrollments now.

I will look in Lampang.  It would break my heart though to have to live so close to BF.

Bahn Farang, my apologies. Oups.

Last edited by Sirchai on Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

8Looking for a school Empty Re: Looking for a school Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:23 pm

ramses

please keep it mildly on topic... thanks.

9Looking for a school Empty Re: Looking for a school Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:39 am

bahn_farang

bahn_farang
Admin
Admin

Hello Ramses

Lampang is not big enough for the both of us rodeo I will not criticise any school on line but the international schools in Lampang have been known to employ teachers without the qualifications you would expect teachers to have in international schools. The turnover of teachers is considerable and worth bearing in mind.

Why wouldn't you keep your daughter enrolled in her current school, then look around for places which would accept second term entrance? Because schools that accept second term entrance need to be looked at very carefully. Some are struggling to keep numbers, this is the case in Lampang perhaps others have differing experiences in other parts of the nation.

The term fees you are speaking of would suggest that you may well be best placed to look at countries further than the borders of the country you currently reside, perhaps it is time for you to move abroad.

Perhaps a top 5 location list would help others to direct you better to a school? Thailand is huge.

Since you are a digital nomad (and a very successful one) why not capture the benefits which mobility provides and ensure your daughter gets a first class education. If your vision for your daughter is beyond Thailand, then is now the time to seize the opportunity of circumstance?

I will reserve from suggesting random schools of which I have no experience, but would suggest that your procrastination is perhaps evidence of some deeper considerations that need to be made

10Looking for a school Empty Re: Looking for a school Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:41 pm

BKKSomchai

BKKSomchai

Maybe aim for those lower tier ints.

Norwich international School, Brighton is new and opening this upcoming year I think.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum